Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Assessment Finding: "Membership"

Based on input from over 7,000 responses

UPA members and former members appreciate all the services provided by the organization, but what they want the most is more opportunities to play/compete. Currently, the UPA’s current slate of competitive offerings leaves many Ultimate players with few opportunities to play at all but the highest levels. Yet many are yearning to renew their connection with ultimate and the UPA in some (possibly new) way, and are frustrated by the paucity of options. The people want to play!

“Of 1500 former members responding to the question of “what would inspire you to join the UPA again”, the overwhelming write-in response was some version of, “when/if I play again”.

When former members were asked what they missed the most about being a UPA member,
66% said “UPA Series”
51% said “ UPA sanctioned events”
33% said “The magazine”

The number one option chosen (among former members) in response to the question “what would inspire you to join he UPA again” was “fun/different/new opportunities to play/compete” (34%). “Lower Fees” came in second at 26%.

When asked how important is it for your current (or future) kids to play ultimate, 37% of former members said “I (will) strongly encourage Ultimate”, and 51% said “I hope they will play”.

Adult UPA membership has not grown significantly. In 2002, there were 6310 Adult UPA members. In 2006, there were 6792 members.

There are approximately 70,000 former UPA members.

Some Quotes:

“We are losing as many adult members as we are gaining every year”. (Staff Member)

“There’s this huge group of Ultimate players that play in leagues, intramurals, pick-up that don’t have any interest in joining the UPA.” (Member)

“Presently I have no direct benefit to being a member because my I don't have much time to play organized ultimate. However, if there were good reasons for me to be a member, like my kids are involved or I'd have more opportunities to play ultimate if I were a member then I'd do it no question.” (Former Member)

“I want the UPA to CREATE NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR ME TO PLAY! Not just limit who can play at tournaments that already exist!” (Former Member)

No comments: